Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Harvest 09-1 First post in the BC Harvest open book videos

OK, so I have to come up with a better title for this. Someone help me out here. The idea is that I'm going to post daily video updates (more, if I have time) of everything happening during harvest. No secrets, no hidden winemaker garbage. You'll see everything we do, and I'll try to make some intelligent comments about all of it. Great Pinot is not about secret bs ingredients. It's about great vineyards and not screwing it up in the cellar.


For the first post, since we're not picking for at least a couple of weeks, I have a short video of everyone working tonight in the winery. They're racking (moving) all the '08 Pinots from new barrels over to neutral oak. We like the extra maturity and complexity we get from 18-20 months in barrel, but we don't like oak tea. So we move the wine every summer over to seasoned (previously used 3-4 times) barrels for the last 6-9 months.


No comments: