Thursday, September 20, 2007

Vineyards looking good, but not quite time to pick

Athena and I trekked up and down the Willamette Valley last weekend, checking on all of our Pinot Noir sites. We had clouds, we had showers, but we saw fantastic-looking fruit.



THIS IS GOING TO BE A BEAUTIFUL PINOT YEAR! While ripeness is still quite a ways off, the brightness and beautiful acidity present in the grapes right now point to a classic cool-climate vintage in Oregon.






I'm really excited, as this is the kind of Pinot I wanted to make when we started the winery.







All we need now is 10-15 days of relatively sunny weather (or at least not much rain). Sugar levels are between 18-20 brix right now at all the sites. Usually, I'd predict only 7-10 days, but the nights are so COLD and a the days are cool enough that I'm predicting a slower than normal ripening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm. looking mighty tasty! Can't wait to come out and help.